Friday, March 9, 2012

Wintour&Guinness: One little year ago.....(A Little Look Back At Life In Melbourne)

This week one year ago I arrived in Melbourne. I remember it like it was yesterday. I didn't have a clue what to expect. Growing up in Ireland, ones impression of Australia is that, if you are into living the city life you must live in Sydney. Having read Australian Vogue for the last few years Sydney for me, was a city that excited me. It was iconic, what with the Harbor Bridge, the opera house, the skyline and the beaches. I didn't have the same interest in Melbourne as I did in Sydney. We arrived in Sydney and stayed for a long weekend with my good friends Maureen & Jay and for the week after leading up to our arrival in Melbourne I was filled with a slight bit of resentment for I really wanted to stay in Sydney and live out the little dream life I had in my head. I didn't get the city of Melbourne at first. There was something that didn't quite fit. There wasn't the same shine to it. There wasn't as many high rise buildings, the city at first didn't seem as exciting as Sydney and well looking back I really never gave it a chance. Listening to other people and hearing how amazing they thought the city was - I slightly rebelled. I didn't want to hear it. I wanted to be back in Sydney and that was that.


Skip a few months and and what I learned about Melbourne was that I didn't even know a thing about it to begin with. It was a vast collection of weird and wonderful suburbs. It was a city of incredible culture, everything excited me. I loved the bars, the restaurants and I even got excited about all the amazing sports venues. The city was vibrant and the people that lived in it were just as colourful. The city has its polished, affluent, well maintained areas and then it has its grungy streets and alleys and it all coexists better than any other city I've ever lived in. Skip a few month from first arriving in Australia and I feel in love with the city of Melbourne.
Where I am now is nowhere near where I thought I would be. I recently started working for an amazing media agency in the city and just this week I was asked to stand up and discuss my first impressions, my personal opinions on what I like about the company and to be honest it was hard to really pinpoint just the one or two things that I liked. Standing up there in front of over forty plus people I finally felt as if I was on a path to somewhere good. I had finally found that stepping stone to the "career" I had been looking for. That part of my journey had begun.


The area of Port Melbourne has become home for me and it looks like its going to be home for the next few years and if I am being honest - that's cool with me. Despite missing my family, my friends and my life in Ireland, I love the life I am living in Melbourne. I have a great set of friends, my family as I like to call them and I have a beautiful home that I have filled with beautiful things. Its home for now, who knows what the futures holds and I look forward to seeing what the next twelve months bring....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...