Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wintour&Guinness Food: Taurean's Mexican Inspired Eggs


I promised more healthy recipes way way back and being completely honest, healthy isn't a word I would use to describe my diet of late. However after a few fun filled nights eating out with some family, I decided enough was enough and something had to be done. So my first stop was to download the MyFitnessPal application on my phone and then organise some sort of a healthy eating plan. Breakfast is one of the most important meals and extremely popular among Australian people and its so tempting to just hit the nearest cafe and get your poached eggs there. But believe me this recipe is just so easy that even the worst cook will be able to succeed.

Ingredients: 2 large free range eggs, I slice of wholegrain bread, half of one shepherds avocado, one Roma tomato, half a red onion, teaspoon of maldron salt, small pinch of dried chili flakes, small pinch of dried Italian herbs, small pinch of cracked black pepper.

- First boil some water in a large pan. I usually boil the kettle and transfer the water, once boiled into the pan, its lazy I know but if its what Nigella does, then its good enough for me. Add a generous dash of malt vinegar. I like the taste of vinegar so the amount depends on each person. I don't know what it is, but it somehow keeps the eggs together making the whites glossy and the golden centre looks really plump once cooked.

- Grab a chopping board and remove the soft centre of the avocado from its skin. Dice it and place the chunks in a large bowl. Dice the tomato, red onion and add these both to the bowl, mix together softly and form a chunky salsa. The consistency you are looking for is a mixture of somewhat chunky and smooth. Add the salt, pepper and chili and mix once again and leave to the side to allow the flavours to merge.

Place the bread under the grill or a toaster (I usually have one slice but if hungry use two) and once done place on the centre of the dish. Add your avocado, tomato and red onion mixture on top creating a lovely mound of fresh green deliciousness. Place your eggs on the dish and voila there it is my easy peasy Mexican inspired eggs.

Healthy and nutricous, I have these for breakfast, lunch or dinner several times during the week. Have a go and let me know what you think. (Now to make them even more special add a drizzle of good olive oil over the eggs and sprinkle some sharp Parmesan cheese over the avocado mixture -as seen in the picture above)

Enjoy. T

 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...