Tuesday, August 21, 2012

WINTOUR&GUINNESS HITS CARLISLE STREET AND SAMPLES BATCH

Batch
Melbourne, oh Melbourne, you are indeed a menace to my waistline. It doesn’t seem hard to find a new café, restaurant or bar to dine in daily while living here. Going to breakfast or ‘’brunch’ as the glitterati like to call it (post night out) is the thing to do in Melbourne at the weekend and I have certainly been making my way around the cafes, restaurants and bars of this beautiful city over the last year and a half. Compared to living in London and Dublin to a certain extent – I feel a great sense of ease at the weekends when dining out. There is a casual-ness to eating out in Melbourne that whole-heartedly represents the type of diner I am. Here is one of the best cafes I have been to in the last few weeks.


This weekend just gone, I took my second trip to Batch. Located at the Balaclava end of Carlisle Street, I was directed towards it by a work colleague who lives in the area. Originally I had decided to try out some of the Jewish deli’s within the area however nothing stood out and having not ventured out this way before I thought best to consult the experts. Balaclava is home to much of Melbourne's Orthodox Jewish Community, consisting of both Hasidim and non-Hasidim Jews. Within the area are a number of kosher restaurants and shops that cater to the local and broader Melbourne Jewish communities.

Batch is small but what it lacks in size it makes up for in character and the food just happens to be out of this world. As an Irishman, I am completely and utterly obsessed with Black pudding. Yes that disgusting sausage-like concoction made from pigs blood. I adore it. And when I was told that they had it on the menu – I knew that this place was special. My first time to Batch was with Kevin and our friend Darkus. Darkus, Kevin and I share a huge love for food and having dined in Darkus’ Port Melbourne home before, I know that he appreciates great food and drink.

Like our first trip, second time around I ordered the black pudding. Five large crispy pieces accompanied my main meal which was the vine ripened tomato  and Meredith’s Goat Cheese on toasted sourdough. Smashing the black pudding, spreading it onto the toast - I devoured every single piece. The café can get very busy at the weekend and since our other friend Stephen came too we had a short wait until our table was ready. To put it simply… I don’t like to wait but with Batch, I will wait.

Shop 1, 320 Carlisle Street
Balaclava
(03) 9530 3550

*Top image kindly taken from Broadsheet

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...