Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WINTOUR&GUINNESS AND A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS IN OCTOBER

With the summer fast approaching there is so much to be thankful for. Its easy to get flabber-gasted (my term for being a mixture of frazzled, anxious and stressed) and its only when one looks back at the things they have done that one can really appreciate how great life has been. Over the last few weeks I have been taking somewhat of a break from the world of blogging whilst I have focused on other aspects of my life, namely enjoying each and every part of it but here is just a selection of the things I have been doing, loving and coming across this October.

Nothing beats a trip to David Jones Food Hall. Okay it may not be as snazzy or impressive as Sydney but we Melburnians do things in a far more chilled out, less frantic pace and this food hall is perfect for those looking for great food in a jiffy. I have been hitting the sushi and grill counter for the last few weeks enjoying the sashimi and salad choices. Make sure to check out the amazing sashimi box for $13 during the week. Perfect summer lunch/snack.

 My favorite bar in Melbourne at the moment is the cosy Grace Darling Hotel on Smith Street in Collingwood. Whether it be day or night, the bar is always the perfect place for a drink or two and having eaten in the restaurant several times now, I can tell you its the perfect spot for a few drinks and a bite to eat any day of the week. We recently took a trip there with Stephen (above) after hitting the Breakfast Thieves cafe for Lunch. Thats another spot I would recommend trying in that area.

Aesop is one of my favorite go to skincare brands since moving to Australia. Its an Australian owned brand first of all so its nice to support something close to home (well its home for the time being....) I picked up this body balm mainly for my hands as I don't really like the thickness of usual hand creams. This has a beautiful scent and leaves little residue. Perfect for slapping on throughout the day at work.
I really love living in Port Melbourne. As someone who never grew up too far from the coast I really feel at home in Port Melbourne. Filled to the brim with cafes, bars, boutiques and speciality food stores, Port Melbourne really is the place to be. One of my personal favorites when it comes to the cafes there is Seven:am. Perfect coffee, wifi and a great chilled out atmosphere at the weekend make it perfect for chilling out with my magazines over a large mug of coffee.


I am still very much in love with the recent SS13 collection from Victoria Beckham. Initially a bit sceptical of it, I have grown to love this collection and see it as a huge leap for Victoria. Perfect, figure hugging dresses and tailored pieces have been modeled by the designer over the last few weeks and if anyone can pull of the Victoria Beckham Collection it's the designer herself.

I don't think words can describe how excited I am to see this little lady. Little Isabelle is my Aunty Kelley's first born and I was delighted to be asked to be Isabelle's godfather. It's not long now until I take off home for Christmas and one of the things I am looking forward to most is Isabelle's Christening. Its gonna be fun.

I recently took a trip to Brunswick Street to meets some old work pals, Sean and Jackie. I hadn't been to the Kodiak Club before but I really love it now and would recommend going there especially for the amazing chicken wings and Paloma cocktail....(Tequila, grapefruit juice and sea salt) Make sure to hit this place soon.

 I have been a huge fan of Carine Roitfeld for several years now, way before this whole new fascination with the editors and those who work at the magazines. I was a huge fan of her book Irreverent which sits proudly on my coffee table along with her new pal (Tom Ford's exquisite book was a recent addition to my collection). CR Fashion Book is the new magazine from Carine and its hugely different from Vogue Paris and Carine's past works. Its currently at Mag Nation or available online. Check it out.

One really cannot find any faults with Melbourne when the sun is shining. And one of my favorite quotes I heard recently about Melbourne life is "if the sun is shining in Melbourne, its hot enough".
G-Star is not really a brand I would ever buy but I am really loving their new campaign with the amazing Arizona Muse. Check it out at your local G-Star store.
I was recently invited to the ACP Magazine Celebrity Trivia night held in Richmond. I am not usually a trivia night kind of guy but drop a celebrity question or two in there and well I am hooked. The night was a huge success and I was delighted to meet some of the great people from ACP and also hang out with some of the great peeps from the office including Kalan, Tara, Yassi and Bonnie. The night started with drinks and as the night progressed, platter after platter of delicious food was dropped to our table. Salt and pepper calamari, arancini balls, mini burgers and pork belly were just some of the nibbles on offer and despite not winning, it was a really great night and well worth the trek to Richmond.

Its been great catching up with some of my friends recently. A night out with Kevin, Coleen, Rebecca and Stephen is always lots of fun and I can always be assured of a few laughs when I am around them. We took a trip to Radio Mexico in St. Kilda this month with the gang and loved the food. Char-grilled corn on the cob, shredded pork taco's, black bean and avocado salad and lots of tequila were ordered that night and I would highly recommend trying this place out over the summer months. 
With the summer months ahead, I am very much looking forward to hitting the beach with my favorite magazine and books but for the time being there is nothing better than hitting your favourite cafe with a selection of the new issues. I have been loving the recent issues of RUSSH and British Vogue lately and the recent issue of RUSSH with Miranda Kerr on the cover was probably there best issue to date.
 With summer on the way its the perfect time to put away of the usual Melbourne uniform of black, black and more black and pull out a bit of colour. Loving this Ralph Lauren summer shirt.
I really enjoyed seeing Sasha Wilkins aka Liberty London Girl in the latest issue of Harper's BAZAAR Australia within the social pages. Its not everyday you get to see LLG in the Aussie mags and I for one would like to see alot more LLG in Australia. Hurry up LLG and get down under.

 What do you get if you mix Karl Lagerfeld, Victoria Beckham and that infamous Chanel staircase...an amazing photoshoot for the upcoming issue of french ELLE.

I have always had a love affair with the Long Island community known as the Hamptons. Maybe its the elitist part of my personality but I really am a sucker for a beautifully manicured lawn and white picket fence. This amazing book from Mrs Ralph Lauren is a beautiful collection of recipes and stories about the various parts of this region and is complimented with great imagery taken by the author herself. Make sure to pick up a copy.
With the summer sunshine out in full glare these days, its hugely important to make sure that ones face does not end up looking like a beetroot. After this weekend and my little nap in the Royal Botanic Gardens, I have been slathering my face with my favorite Chanel moisturiser. It may seem a little extravagant but there really is nothing better than a pot of this wonder cream from Chanel. Make sure to check out your local Myers, David Jones, Brown Thomas, Selfridges or Harrods to find this little beaut.

Favorite Book at the moment is Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Parties. Having moved into a new apartment recently, I am looking forward to having my friends over for food and drinks and this is the perfect book for those, like me seeking a little inspiration for those stylish party nights at home.

And thats it, thats my favorite things for the month of October. T

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...