Sunday, September 29, 2013

WINTOUR&GUINNESS ON DITCHING THE CARBS AND MY SECRET HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA MUFFINS

I am sitting here in Touchwood, the newest cafe on Richmond's Bridge Road at 10.30am on a Friday morning sipping my coffee when I stare up and notice a fellow diners peanut butter & jelly whole meal waffles with whipped peanut butter ricotta. The smells wafting from the dish enveloping me in a soft blanket of familiarity. You see it's been pretty much a month since I walked away from my love affair with those dreaded carbohydrates. Last Christmas I decided to travel home for a few weeks and the few weeks before I left, I decided to cut out all forms of carbohydrates. Pasta, bread, rice, potatoes and my drug of choice, cookies/biscuits were all dropped in favor of healthy alternatives. Fruit, yogurt,  fish, chicken and eggs became my daily staples and after a few weeks the craziest thing happened. The hunger pangs subsided, the sugar withdrawals left and my frickin' jeans become so loose that they were deemed useless by my boyfriend. 

When I talk about that time prior to my trip home, I talk about this metaphorical switch being hit. Instantly I despised the idea of a refined carb touching my lips and the confidence that exuded lifted me to the heavens above. This time however it's been a little harder.......

The hunger pangs might have subsided but the sugar withdrawals come and go and over the next few weeks I am going to share with you the recipes that I've been developing to make healthy, delicious treats to combat those pesky sugar cravings. This week I'm starting with my peanut butter and banana muffins. Not only are these gluten free, they also contain no refined sugar or flour replacements. And best of all they are so easy to prepare.  


Ingredients:

Muffins
1 cup of all natural 100% peanut butter 
2 very ripe bananas, mashed up (about 1 cup mashed)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 whole eggs
A pinch of sea salt
Quarter cup of honey 
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Coconut oil or olive oil spray

There really isn't too much to this recipe. Essentially mix all the ingredients together, spoon into a muffin tray. Now make sure to lightly spray the muffin tray with the coconut oil / olive oil spray first before spooning the mixture in. 

Place in a medium oven (around 200 depending on the strength of your oven) and leave for 10-15 minutes. The trick to telling if your muffins are fully cooked is to stick a knife down through the centre and if it comes out clear, bobs your uncle they're ready. 

Now. Eat. Enjoy. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...