Thursday, April 24, 2014

A VERY WINTOUR&GUINNESS BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND OF EATING AND DRINKING IN MELBOURNE

We were really lucky to have a long, four day bank holiday weekend last week and I certainly made my way around the city, lapping up some of the great food that can be found in some of the cities top cafes. Friday morning, we ventured to Truman's Cafe in Albert Park for a quick bite to eat before spending the afternoon organising the apartment. You cannot beat their "Truman". It really is, for me - the best breakfast dish in Melbourne. Great toast, scrambled eggs, hash brown, rocket, avocado and tomato relish make up the dish and it never disappoints. It was perfect fuel for organising, what is now a considerably large magazine collection in my apartment. God help me the day I decide to ever move back to Ireland. What to keep, what to throw away…. lets not think too much about that. 

Saturday morning, I woke up early, got my workout gear on and grabbed a coffee at one of my local spots, Noisette. Its a french inspired bakery which makes the best pastries and cakes south of the Yarra. However this particular morning I was hitting a 9am body pump class, so pastries didn't really seem appropriate.

After class, I made my way to Camberwell to get my haircut at Hairhouse Warehouse. I'm very fond of the team there, especially since my boyfriend's sister used to work there. She's worked her magic on my hair for a few years but decided to move back to Ireland recently but thankfully one of the other stylists Jay is equally as good. I was delighted with the results. I stopped off at Prospect Espresso beforehand for a bite to eat and was surprised by how good their menu is, especially as I'm not a fan of their new place Townhouse in Toorak. I opted for the lamb sandwich and boy was it good. Its a great spot and I loved getting a spot by the window. Newspapers, coffee, people watching and great food, what more could you want on a lazy Saturday afternoon.


Sunday midday we made our way to Carlton North to check out St. Ali North. I'd been to their south side location a long long time ago and wasn't overly impressed so I was eager to see what St. Ali North was all about. Location-wise, its in a great little spot north of the CBD. Its not an area I frequent but after this trip, I certainly think I'll be making a few more trips up that way for sure. We were lucky that we got a table pretty much straight away. The interior is nicely laid out, however my only gripe was how close the tables were. I felt throughout the visit that I was sandwiched in between two very odd conversations, making it impossible for me to have a conversation of my own. 


The menu was fantastic and it was a tough call between a few dishes but I ended up ordering the scrambled eggs with smoked goats curd, Cumberland sausage and two thick slices of sourdough toast. Absolutely amazing. The coffee was great too and we ended up leaving with a second coffee and a sweet treat each. I had the blueberry crumble cheesecake slice and Kevin has the carrot and pecan cupcake. Ten out of ten. 




The next morning we decided to hit Proud Mary in Collingwood. We had visited this cafe before, but usually at the weekend this place is jam packed and its quite hard to nab a table without having to wait for half an hour or more. This weekend however it only took us ten minutes to grab a table. I'm a firm believer that queueing for a table anywhere is confirmation of your own good taste, however this particularly fresh morning, I wasn't really in the mood to hang around outside a cafe. Sitting down I was really impressed with their menu and again, being the most indecisive person - it took me a good fifteen minutes to decide what to get. I ended up ordering poached eggs on gluten free toast with avocado and sautéed mushrooms. Absolutely delicious. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the GF toast actually tasted like real toast and the mushrooms - well they were sensational.


After Proud Mary, we made our way over to Brunswick Street for a potter around the shops. It wasn't particularly busy that day but there was a great atmosphere nonetheless. I always make a trip to Klein's Perfumery for a look at whats new and unfortunately on this trip they had run out of the Cire Trudon Merida candle. Its one of my favourites and very hard to find in Melbourne. Next on the list was the Jack London warehouse. Its perfect for those looking for suits, coats, shirts and its pretty cheap. A definite must for anyone looking for a good bargain. After that it was off home. 


With another long weekend ahead, I'm looking forward to seeing what treasures I come across. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...