Thursday, May 22, 2014

WINTOUR&GUINNESS VISITS SURRY HILLS IN SYDNEY, BRUNCHES AT BILLS AND VISITS THE FAMOUS BOURKE STREET BAKERY



I recently took a trip up to Sydney, which for me is always a huge deal as I really love the city. It really doesn't matter how many times I've been there before, the minute I see that bridge and the city skyline I'm taken back to when I was a kid looking at a picture of the city in my school atlas thinking to myself will I get the chance to go there. This time I had more time than usual to just go and do what I wanted as I was by myself most of the weekend and I had known about the trip for a few months beforehand so I knew exactly where and what I wanted to do. Luckily I was able to do everything I wanted. On the last day in particular I didn't really have a plan as such so I decided to just make my way to the exciting neighborhood of Surry Hills and see where the day would take me.


Making my way through the city on a sunny Sunday morning, it was clear to see that all the good stuff takes place in the suburbs rather than the CBD and Surry Hills, like Woollahra is exactly the type of place I like to frequent. Cool coffee shops, independent stores, fashionable boutiques and a seriously cool vibe make this a definite hotspot. My first port of call was Bill Grangers cafe Bill's on Crown Street. Similar to his Darlinghurst cafe, the menu is the same however this spot is a little more polished and less homely.
 
It's still fantastic nonetheless. I started my day off with Bills scrambled eggs, sourdough toast, sausage and avocado mash. There really are no words to perfectly describe Bills scrambled eggs, they're truly sensational. Taking a little bit of time out to read the Sunday newspapers with a coffee, I can't think of any better way to start the day.
 
After a while, I made my way down Crown Street towards the heart of Surry hills when something popped into my mind, the infamous Bourke Street Bakery.
 
Bourke Street Bakery is an institution having opened in 2004. It was still early in the day so I thankfully missed the constants queues I've always heard about. The first thing that one notices about the Bourke Street Bakery is how small the place really is based on its huge reputation. A wide range of artisan breads, pastries, pies and tarts line the windows making it impossible to pass by without a visit inside.
 

I decided to treat myself to one of their chocolate tarts and another coffee (two coffees before midday, sure I was flying). The case of the tart was light, buttery and melt in your mouth good. It was the way a tart case should taste and every bite got better and better. The chocolate filling was not how I expected it to be either. It was light but at the same time decedent and truly satisfying. I was lucky enough to nab one of their tables outside, perfect for a spot of people watching.
 
 
The suburb of Surry Hills is largely composed of Victorian terraced houses with lists of converted warehouses and apartment buildings. It quite reminds me of Greenwich Village in New York and like areas such as St. Kilda, South Yarra and Prahran, the area is characterized by a mixture of relatively affluent newcomers who've gentrified the area, but despite that, it's still a fantastic spot.
 



After walking my two legs off back into the city, I caught up with some friends from Melbourne at the QV Building before embarking on the trip home. And that folks was one of the most perfect days I've had in Sydney.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...