Saturday, June 14, 2014

WINTOUR&GUINNESS BRUNCHES AT AUCTION ROOMS IN NORTH MELBOURNE

Saturday brunch sessions, what would we do without them! Well in my case, probably buy a house or a car because I've been spending quite a lot of time and money eating out and to prove that point there is a long, long, long foodie post coming soon about all the best places in Melbourne to hang out. 

This weekend I left the decision making to Kevin about where to go for brunch and top of his list was a revisit to one of his favourites, Auction Rooms in North Melbourne. I have to agree its one of my favourites too however I just wish their menu was a tad bigger, with a few more options (like scrambled eggs perhaps). I jumped out of the car before Kevin found a car space, for fear of having to wait an hour for a table. 

We'll have a table for you in five minutes… my favourite words when arriving at a cafe. 


The menu changes seasonally and this time around there were some lovely additions such as the french toast with devils on a horseback dates i.e. dates filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon and the cinnamon fruit toast with espresso butter. 

A little too extravagant for us both so early in the day we both opted for poached eggs on toast, sourdough for me and seed & sprout for himself. Adding to that we ordered the avocado with tahini cream cheese, maple and coffee glazed bacon steak and cow & goats cheese with tomato relish. 

My eggs were perfectly cooked with the golden yolk a deliciously thick consistency. The toast is always thick sliced and doesn't come slathered in butter. A plus in my book as it can really overpower and ruin a dish. 

The bacon was a risky choice for us as we both like crispy streaky bacon and most times the bacon you receive in cafes is not crispy enough and is far too fatty. The above looks delicious and yes we ate as much of it as we could, but it was a little too fatty for my liking. If I was to order it again I would ask them to crisp it up a bit more. 

Have you ever seen such a beautiful side dish of avocado? I would say no. It just shows you how a little imagination and care can produce something outstanding. This is why Auction Rooms is consistently named one of the best cafes in Melbourne. If I had my own cafe, this is how I would want every side dish of avocado to go out. Outstanding. 

The same can be said about the cow and goats cheese side dish. The cheese was perfectly rich and creamy yet not too overpowering. Perfect with the avocado, sourdough and eggs. 

Ordering a take away coffee for a short trip back to the car, I cannot fault this place. The interior, the atmosphere, the service, the coffee and the food. This place always gets the W&G seal of approval. 

103-107 Errol St, 
North Melbourne 

VIC 3051
(03) 9326 7749

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...