Friday, July 25, 2014

WINTOUR&GUINNESS HEADS NORTH OF THE CITY TO NORTHCOTE & GRABS A BITE TO EAT AT BARRY

The last few weeks have been a bit of a blur so I do apologise for the lack of blogging. There has been so much happening this end, I can't for the life of me know where to begin. After around eighteen months of anticipation, my parents finally arrived safe and sound into Melbourne at the beginning of July and pretty much, the two weeks that followed were a non-stop marathon of great restaurants, cafes and bars. So with that, I thought it best to put together a few little posts about some of the great places I've been over the last two to three weeks. So grab yourself a hot drink and settle down and prepare to drool over some delicious food. First stop, we're hitting Barry in Northcote.

Northcote is one of those funny areas. I remember when Grazia Australia was kicking about, a year or two back and the HBO series Girls was the programme du jour for the cool kids. In one particular issue they wrote about some of the elements which they felt made Girls such as success, focusing in particular on the cool areas the girls within the show frequented. The publication named Northcote  as the Australian equivalent to Brooklyn and having not visited the area I immediately jumped in the car and went to see what all the fuss was about.

That first trip to Northcote was a disaster to be honest and I wouldn't have bothered venturing back there if it hadn't been for all the rave reviews I had read about Barry recently. Immediately upon arrival, I could sense it, I knew this place was going to be good and a surge of excitement rushed through me. Despite the large crowd waiting outside the cafe, the staff were excellent at handing the hoards of people queuing for tables and after what seemed like five or ten minutes we were directed to our spot on the communal bench which I really liked.



I know there are those people that like to have their own space and don't want to be too close to other people, but I am huge lover of communal tables in cafes. I love the hustle and the bustle of a cafe and you really don't get that sitting over in the corner of the room away from everything.

So we started off with coffees whilst we looked at the menu and thank God we did as it took quite a while for us both to decide. There is a huge variety of dishes to choose from and eventually I opted for the California Superfood Salad which was made up of tri-coloured quinoa, shredded kale, wild organic rice, coriander, charred corn, salted ricotta, black turtle beans, heirloom tomatoes, jalapeño, goji berries and spicy lime vinaigrette. You can order the dish with tuna however I opted for a poached egg. I'm not one to usually pick salads but I couldn't have picked anything better. The salad was bursting with flavour and with each and every bite I felt myself questioning whether something this good could actually be good for you.

Kevin ordered the crushed avocado with thyme roasted grapes, heirloom tomatoes, goats cheese, seeds, toast and a side of chorizo. The smashed avocado dish is a cafe staple here in Melbourne and it amazes me how so many places can get it so wrong - but Barry got it so right. It was everything you wanted and more in a dish, with each bite better than the last. And that chorizo, don't get me started.  I have never tasted chorizo so good.

Along with the service and the impeccable interior space, this place is firmly within my top five cafes in Melbourne after just one visit. Yes folks, it is that good.

Barry
85 High Street
Northcote 3070
www.barrycoffeeandfood.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...