Wednesday, November 26, 2014

WINTOUR&GUINNESS VISITS HOTEL WINDSOR IN MELBOURNE FOR AN AFTERNOON OF TEA, CAKES AND WONDERFUL COMPANY

The Hotel Windsor in Melbourne has been serving traditional afternoon tea since 1883 and its taken me four years of living in Melbourne to finally take a trip to see what all the fuss is about. Now, the last time I went for afternoon tea I was on the Gold Coast staying at the Palazzo Versace and that my friends was an epic afternoon tea which left me in a sugar induced food coma for hours. So I was eager to see where Hotel Windsor would fall on the scale.
Upon arrival and immediately after you have been seated you receive a glass of French sparkling wine, whilst freshly brewed specialty teas and coffee are brought to your table throughout the afternoon. I decided to try the Hotel Windsor Blend whereas my companions opted for the Enchanted Heart Blooming tea, a heart shaped mix of white tea leaves that gently open up into a blossom of pink, amaranth and orange lily. My tea was beautifully presented, as was the Enchanted Heart tea, which came in a glass teapot, allowing the group to see the heart fully bloom. We took our trip on a Friday afternoon but on weekends, guests enjoy an indulgent dessert buffet and chocolate fountain, which I’ve heard, is epic.
Like most of the top afternoon tea destinations, the 5 star hotel serves its famous afternoon tea to your table on a three-tiered silver stand and consists of exquisite French style pastries and a selection of finger sandwiches. Following this, freshly baked plain and raisin scones are served warm to you with jam, lemon curd and double cream. To me there is nothing better in life than a great cup of tea and a warm scone with jam and cream so I was in heaven.

The High Tea is set in the hotels elegant dining room, which is decorated with chandeliers, and heavy drapes befitting what many consider to be the top hotel in Melbourne. 
Built as the Grand Hotel in 1883 and renamed the Hotel Windsor in 1923, it pre-dates some of the world’s leading grand hotels including the Savoy in London, built in 1889, the Waldorf Astoria in New York dating back to 1893, and the Ritz Paris which opened in 1898. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Hotel Windsor, it was a very relaxed afternoon and whilst some of the food didn't quite live up to my expectations - everything was well executed, the service impeccable and the company even better. 


Take a trip and let me know what you think. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...