Saturday, January 17, 2015

WINTOUR&GUINNESS ON RETURNING HOME TO IRELAND & HITTING THE BROWN HOUND BAKERY IN DROGHEDA.


When I arrived home from Australia first it was a big shock, culturally speaking. Most of my mornings in Melbourne were spent getting up at the crack of dawn (let's say six o clock), getting myself ready for another day in the office and running out the door around seven. I hopped on the 109 tram from Port Melbourne to the Paris end of Collins Street and I rushed into my favourite cafe, Postal Hall; for a large extra hot latte and a side of their amazing sourdough toast. It was a ritual that I loved more than anything and with a stack of new magazines in my satchel everyday, I was in complete heaven.

Moving from Australia to Ireland, I knew things were going to be different. The Irish tend to neglect early mornings for an extra hour or two of sleep and I knew there wasn't going to be the huge selection of breakfast/coffee spots that Melbourne is so well known for. What I really hadn't thought about or anticipated really was just how late everything opens, even in Dublin.

Throughout the Christmas period, I was living with my parents in Drogheda. A small town of approx. thirty thousand people, spread along the River Boyne. My mornings were spent pacing the house waiting for the sun to come up and more importantly the opening time of my local cafe, the Brown Hound Bakery. The bakery was established by Jeni Glasgow and Reuvan Diaz, both of whom opened the exceptionally good Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill just down the road, a place where I spent some time working just before I moved to Australia.

The bakery first opened during my time in Melbourne and since the summer of twenty eleven, the residents of Drogheda have been able to boast about having one of Ireland's best cafes on their doorstep. Busy mornings see people waiting in their cars eager to grab a large coffee, a special blend created with Greenbean Coffee Roasters especially for the cafe and its hard not to walk by the large selection of baked goods and not pick something up for your mid morning snack (that's if you can resist not biting into it straight away).

During the Christmas period, I gave myself free reign to eat whatever I wanted (something that doesn't seem to have stopped despite the new years resolution) and I would find myself walking into the Brown Hound, magazines tucked under my arm asking for a hot latte and one (or two, or three) of their amazing slices, cakes, cookies or pies. The inspiration for the baked goods came from Jeni & Reuvan's time in New York and with the help of NYC based baker Craig Thompson they have created an extensive selection of products. I usually order the monkey bread, a cross between a biscuit (or scone to us Irish) and an apple pie, its perfection on a plate. They produce some exceptional slices such as the maple pecan, the raspberry shortcake and the Scout bar. Made up of caramel, pistachio nuts, coconut and on a shortbread base, I've been known to devour quite a few in the one sitting.


Another element of the Brown Hound, which makes it an absolute pleasure to visit; is the decor. Jeni and Reuvan, have travelled the world, its foodie capitals and have infused the Brown Hound with little bits of their travels here and there. You're not just popping into the Brown Hound for just a coffee, your popping in for everything; the decor, the ambiance, the friendly service, the delicious cakes and that feeling of pure indulgence that each and every one of us should experience a little bit more often. 

Brown Hound Bakery
Bryantown Centre
Drogheda
Co. Louth
Website: www.glasgow-diaz.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...