Thursday, July 9, 2015

THE WINTOUR&GUINNESS SUPPER CLUB: PALEO FRIENDLY CHICKEN & MIXED SALAD WRAPS

If you've been following Wintour&Guinness on Instagram (@wintourandguinness) lately you will have seen that I'm trying my hardest to stick to a diet of no dairy or grains. Its something I decided to do a few weeks back, after I'd experience a major outbreak of dermatitis. I'd experienced something similar early last year in Australia and its something that's consistently popped up every so often. Having gone down the traditional path of antibiotics and various creams; I decided to tackle this problem through the introduction of a healthy, clean diet.

Suffice to say, I've noticed a greater difference to my skin through the removal of dairy and grains from my diet and I've also noticed how much better I feel physically. There's several high profile nutritionists, chefs and bloggers out there, such as Amelia Freer, Pete Evans and Luke Hines that promote and talk about this type of diet, so if you want to look further into it I would suggest looking them up online. 


One of the greatest barriers to eating a typically "paleo" type diet is the lack of imagination. You don't have to survive on a piece of protein and broccoli every night. Most people when changing their diet focus on all the foods they cannot eat, but I say focus on all the foods you are now able to eat. These almond crusted chicken tenders are so easy to make and they taste amazing. Serve them with my lettuce cups and you have an easy, delicious and clean meal that can be prepared in less than half an hour. Just follow the recipe below. 



What you will need (per person):
1 free range (organic if possible) chicken breast
1 cup of ground almonds
1 free range (organic if possible) egg

For the lettuce wraps (per person):
1 head of baby cos lettuce
1 tub of sundried tomato hummus 
1 large tomato (sliced) 
1 red onion (sliced)
Half an avocado (sliced)

What you need to do

1) Grab two bowls, place the ground almonds in one and crack the egg into the other. Gently beat the egg and leave both bowls to the side. 
2) Cut your chicken into strips (I cut length ways to ensure I get a good coating of ground almond).
3) Using your left hand, dip a piece of chicken into the egg. Ensure that its evenly coated and then drop it into the ground almonds. Use your right hand to toss the chicken around. Trust me, using one hand for each step is a much cleaner (and easier) experience. 
4) Lay the coated chicken on a baking tray and place in a pre-heated oven (approx. 180 degrees c.).
5) Whilst the chicken is cooking, prepare your vegetables any way you choose (sometimes I make a guacamole to go with this dish, other times I just slice them nice and chunky). 
6) Arrange your lettuce cups on a dish, place a generous serving of sundered tomato hummus inside each of the leaves and assemble your vegetables as you wish. 
7) Once the chicken is a light golden colour, remove from the oven (ensuring that the meat is cooked thoroughly) and place one piece of chicken into each of the cups prepared. 

Simple, tasty and seriously nutritious. Make sure to share your paleo friendly chicken and mixed salad wraps with me using my Instagram handle @wintourandguinness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...