Monday, July 6, 2015

WINTOUR&GUINNESS ON REAL COFFEE, MOVING AWAY FROM THE CHAINS AND THE PERFECT BREAKFAST SPOT IN THE CITY

My love affair with coffee started several years ago. I'm not even sure what sparked it all but I do recall it was sometime around 2008 and I was living in London at the time. Back in those days, the independent coffee shop was not the place to be going, it was Starbucks all the way. I would sip on skinny caramel macchiatos all morning long, unaware of just how bad they were for you and how, looking back they didn't really taste of coffee at all. 

That all changed in 2012 when I moved to Melbourne, eventually living there for four years. At the beginning strolling into work with my usual venti sized coffee, the looks of disgust hit me in the face each and every morning. Let me tell you it didn't take me long to learn that Starbucks, no matter how much they protest - is not real coffee & especially to Melburnians. Melbourne awoke something in me that, for the first time really made me appreciate just how wonderful coffee could be and over time each morning I ventured to a new independent coffee shop to taste various blends, roasters and styles. 

Living in Melbourne, known to many as the coffee capital of the Southern hemisphere; I was educated in what good coffee was and just how to experience it. 

Knowing that I was moving back to Ireland in December, I threw my eyes over a few of the Dublin food blogs such as Lovin Dublin and French Foodie In Dublin; keen to see what was happening and if by some miracle Ireland was going through its own coffee revolution. Ireland indeed was going through its own food and coffee revolution and with the Celtic Tiger taking its last breathe, tonnes of independent businesses were shooting up all over the country serving quality food and coffee to those eager to move away from the giant chains that had defined what coffee was over previous decade. 

One establishment that really stood out amongst the crowd in Dublin was Brother Hubbard. Situated on Capel Street, Brother Hubbard's aim from the get go was to serve people food and drink that was made using the best ingredients and served in a relaxed, casual environment. Excellent reviews and accolades started to pour in and the likes of Lovin Dublin, French Foodie in Dublin and the Irish Times couldn't get enough of this place and it seemed like the public couldn't either. Moving back in December last year, one of the first spots I visited was Brother Hubbard and top of my list to try was a) the coffee and b) their pulled pork sandwich (which is consistently voted one of the best sandwiches in Dublin). It was indeed one of the best sandwiches I'd eaten and the coffee was spectacular. 

Serving their own special blend in conjunction with 3FE, I let a sigh of relief out after the first sip. Yes, yes, yes, they serve real coffee. Hallelujah.  

Over the next couple of weeks, as I moved to Ranelagh; I became more acquainted with Brother Hubbard's little sister; aptly named Sister Sadie. 

Sister Sadie opened last year on Harrington Street and is the perfect weekday morning treat on the way to the office. Like Brother Hubbard they serve delicious scrolls, scones and my personal favorite; their granola. Served with Greek yogurt, a rose & berry compote and fresh mint; its absolutely delicious, moreish and thankfully its available to buy in little packs to bring home. 

Other items on the menu I've tried over the last few weeks include the raspberry, apple & rose juice, the ginger and lemon punch, the toast with homemade preserves (and when I say homemade I actually mean homemade), freshly baked scones and the pulled pork sandwich. All of which are borrowed from the menu at Brother Hubbard and taste equally as delicious.

The cafes minimalist interior was designed in partnership with Design Goat, with a mixture of copper lighting, neat wooden benches and oodles of natural light filling each of the main rooms. And outside, an extensive seating area can be found; perfect for the summer months. 

Sister Sadie opens from 7.45 each morning and closes at 4pm during the week. A full menu including  brunch is served from 10am to 5pm on weekends and you can keep up to date with all things Sister Sadie (or Brother Hubbard) by clicking through to their website here

Sister Sadie
46 Harrington Street
Dublin 8

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...